Monday, December 17, 2012

Tragedy

My heart breaks for all who are touched by the particular horrors in Portland and Sandy Hook this week, but it aches most for the children who witnessed such tragedy first hand.  Awful enough to hear about it...but for the children to live it, and feel powerless to change it, really seems more than we can expect children to bear.

My little boy, who thankfully was not present when his dad and I were shot,  has been struggling lately with why God "let this happen to us." No "answer" I could possibly offer will soothe his aching heart.  I can only attest to the fact that God was with me in my deepest despair, and  I am confident of His great love for each of us. I am praying Luke will continue to have a tender heart that can receive the love and comfort that is his in Christ.  I am praying this for all who are hurting today.

Such terrible things we humans can do to one another.  Such terrible acts of violence that leave so many suffering loss beyond comprehension.  It "feels" like the last word...but it is not. 

2 comments:

  1. The babies that walked away from the school are the ones I keep crying for the most. I grieve for the parents/families who don't have a loved one to hold, sure. But, to live with the images has to be oh so difficult. Praying God will erase those things/sounds from their minds.

    Also praying for your precious Luke and all of you as you continue to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a quote going around the internet, attributed to mr. rogers, that i find comforting. “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” it doesn't address the why of tragic events; but i do find some comfort in knowing that there are always caring individuals who reach out.

    ReplyDelete